Finally! It's over. Not the end but the beginning. Beginning of rehab and hopefully a new leg.
My surgery time changed twice. First it was set as 9am, then changed to 11am then the day before I was asked to adjuct it to 7.30am. I got to the hospital at about 6am. Admitted and did a whole lot of admin. Then as soon as I got up to the Day Surgery Centre, I had to change to my surgery robe and almost immediately I was wheeled to the OT.
Those of you who have encountered or have loved ones who have gone through surgery would probably know that different people would come and ask you the same set of questions over and over again. I was asked at least 4 times including my surgeon.
Since young, I have grown with the phobia of needles. I requested from the nurse that I would like to be poked with the IV drip after anaesthesia took place. Then the anaesthetist came and told me one whole story how long it would take me to be knocked out and the smell and stuffs. Just trying to convince me to do IV drip way as the effect of anaesthesia would be faster.
I got in to the OT and the next thing he was preparing to insert the IV needle. Like any doctors, he talked to me and diverted my attention onto some topics. And I felt a small ant bite sensation, he told me its done. I was quite impressed. Being one of the most terrifying moments, I felt a lot relieved. Yeah, strangely, it wasn't the surgery.
My surgeon came late. 15 mins. And I was trying to sturggle to keep myself awake. Not because the medicine was taking effect but because I had nightmares and couldn't sleep well the night before. Too much anxieties I guess. So you would have figured out that it wasn't too difficult to knock me out after the anaesthesia was injected into my hand. I only heard the anaesthetist say "It will take effect in 10secs" and then I started to feel drowsy naturally, and he said again "Try to keep your eyes open". I tried to open but soon I just succumbed to the effect of the drug.
I remember falling into deep sleep with some dreams. Then very soon, I was awoken and I was told it's done. Over. I could still reply the people there "It's done?". After a while they wheeled me back to the recovery ward.
Dad came to hospital with me and he went to Mass at the chapel downstairs. Went to meet a nun and came up with her. It was nice to see the Sister. I guess because of her presence, I felt very relieved and appreciating God's love. I chose Mt A anyway.
Then the anaesthesia was still in effect but since they woke me up, I was drifting in and out of sleep. I took my phone from dad and started to sms friends who have been praying for me.
I gave thanks to God when I was in the recovery ward that I had survived through the operation. Though it may have been a small surgery but because GA was given, anything could have happened. I was thankful He saw me through it all even till now.
God is good, all the time. A friend was saying that since now that I am MC, it's probably His plan to put me back into perspectives of my relationship with Him. And certainly, God always puts such events in my life, in His time.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment