I zipped down my school's flying fox today. Not for fun but trying it out for myself and testing the management system and conducting style for it. I wasn't sure if I could follow the recommended format. As I'm writing now, I'm still thinking.
In most conventional flying fox / zipline / omega, whatever you term it, there would usually be 2 handloops where you can put your hands in and hold on to it. It somewhat would give a person a sense of security. The one I tried today has nothing to hold on to. I can only hold on to my primary safety line if I need some "assurance"
It took me a little bit of psyching-up to lean forward and go with the flow. If you see the drop, it looks really scary. I guess it's really about trusting the system, the despatcher, the equipment and all the other factors. Eventually I did. I had a good time whee-ing down the tower :D
When I was going back to the office, I kept thinking how this system could work - without handloops. I challenged myself to think what this activity will give to the participants but of course not compromising safety.
I must admit that without the handloops, it took me a much longer time to get down. It seemed like I was missing something, lesser sense of security. I just needed more assurance for myself. Translating it to life, isn't this what we also always want to have as well? Don't we often tell ourselves that we must have 'A' so then only can we get 'B' done? Do we see the handloop really as an assurance or can we do without it? The fact is we are safe and secure already by the system and the equipment. Why do we need something else to deceive ourselves psychologically that this is safe?
Haha, good thinking... I guess I have sorted it out, the handloops.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment